Skip to main content

tv   Simulcast of the Thom Hartmann Radio Show  CSPAN  November 3, 2016 12:00pm-2:01pm EDT

12:00 pm
history tv on c-span3, saturday night at eight eastern on lectures in history. >> these redcoat to present themselves as allies and friends for the future are clearly our enemy. they are occupying our land with troops which is the one thing we were fighting against, and at the same time by cutting off and withholding gifts, refusing to give kids, living in trade with us, that's essentially a declaration of hostile intent. >> and later on real america we look back to the 1966 campaign for california governor between incumbent democrat . ..
12:01 pm
i think when you make that decision, it might be well if you would ask yourself, are you better off than you were four years ago? our proposals are very silent and carefully considered to stimulate jobs, improve the complex industrial of this country. >> the 1980 debate between incumbent president jimmy carter
12:02 pm
and ronnie ragan. then at seven. >> a realist would not have devoted his life to fighting slavery and what not have said this which is that a dissolution of the union for the cause of slavery would be followed by the war of the two severed portion. it seems to me the result might be. [inaudible] progress must be so glorious and i cannot say it is not to be desired. >> at the new york historical society, james, author of john quincy adams militant spirit debate the question was john quincy adams a realist. they also talk about the foreign-policy views and a legacy of the sixth president. for complete american history tvs schedule, go to cspan.org.
12:03 pm
>> i did research information and this is the case with a lot of the pieces that will be done for this competition. it's a complicated issue. it's so multifaceted that i had to research to get a basic knowledge of what i wanted to talk about in this piece. it's so complicated i can't talk about it all. the first thing i had to decide was what i was going to talk about. >> i will be nice to have a focal point that i wanted to focus on. i got clips from the internet before i started shooting. i researched this topic extensively. this is my dad's pharmacy and i talked to the pharmacist there. i talked my mom and her colleagues and coworkers.
12:04 pm
>> a lot of internet research to find facts and data and statistics about employment for those with developmental disabilities and to see what was going on. most of the information that i got off of the internet came from government funded websites so that's how i knew the information i was getting was legitimate. >> this year's theme, your message to washington d.c. tell us, what is the most urgent issue for the new president and congress to address in 2017. our competition is open to all middle school and high school students grades six through 12 with $100,000 awarded prizes. students can work alone or in a group of up to three to produce a 5 - 7 minute documentary on the issue selected. the $100,000 in cash prizes will be awarded and shared between
12:05 pm
150 students and 53 teachers. the grand prize of $5000 will go to the student or team with the best overall entry. this year's deadline is january 20, 2017. mark your calendars and help us spread the word to student filmmakers. >> in the final stretch to election day, c-span2 has been bringing you political radio shows this week and set to begin shortly is the thom hartmann radio show. he will talk today with the network news director at one of the leaders of progressive democrats of america will also take calls. we are watching and listening live here on c-span2.
12:06 pm
[inaudible] they merged or stay in business leadership. the book is not. studios underwritten in part by scholastic radio. this is the thom hartmann program. >> good at reading my friends. thom hartmann here with you and hey, we have have a special treat today.
12:07 pm
c-span is in our studios. they are manning cameras and audio and all kinds of magical stuff. you can hear us on c-span2. we have tweeted the link for the live feed. it's also on our facebook page and our website. we will retweet it at the top of each hour and repost it, but just fyi, c-span will be replaying this a couple of times over the next 24 hours. three times altogether. i have that right must mark something like that. well, whatever. so, to the issues. there are all this talk right now about obamacare premiums going up 25 - 40%. it turns out, there is a back story to this. that is, when when obamacare was put together, we discussed this somewhat yesterday, but this is fascinating. scotty hughes will be on to talk
12:08 pm
about this in just a second. when obamacare was put together, basically what the federal government said to the health insurance companies, these are neither private nor for-profit companies. they say we note you have been throwing sick people off. they get sick and you dump them. you refused to cover people who are already sick. somebody comes in and says they want insurance and you say do they have ibd's and we say yes and they said we won't cover you or will cover you for $5000 a month. they also told the health insurance companies, in addition to not only picking up the sick people coming at the pick up the people you rejected, yet the pickup new people who haven't been able to afford health insurance and provide them with subsidies to make it possible for them to get health insurance. in fact, that's there. a lot of those people haven't seen a doctor in two or three years and they probably have conditions that need some treatment. this probably a lot of
12:09 pm
undiagnosed diabetes, a lot of diagnose heart disease and always kind of things but the first five or ten years it will be expensive. of course, the health insurance companies pointed out to the legislators when they are putting this thing together. in conference and committee, they put together this thing called a risk corridor. but that does is says during the first decade of obamacare, if an insurance company loses money, taking on the sick people, we will make it up. we, the federal government. it was was in the budget. this was not a surprise. it was in the budget, the money was there. it was already to go. as a result, the insurance insurance companies would have to raise prices. last year, little marco rubio, all by his little self, wrote a writer for the 2015 optimist
12:10 pm
bill, the one that funds the entire federal government and that writer said we are going to delete the risk corridor. no more subsidies for the insurance companies. they're taking on the sick people. they can't reject people when they get sick and get expensive. if they lose money, tough luck. they have have to raise their prices. micro rubio put that into law. chernoff the insurance companies lost money and so they're jacking the prices up. in other words, the republican party or marco rubio as it's there get broke obamacare and now the republicans are going around saying it's broken, we have to do something about it. we have to replace it with something. we have to repeal and replace it that is the official position of the trump campaign. let's ask scotty now hughes what they're going to replace it with. she is a contributor to cnn, the
12:11 pm
author of war, the new conservative woman speaks out. you can reach her website at scotty nelson hughes.com. welcome back to the program. >> thank you for having me. i love talking about this issue. you're right. it's very important and affecting voters. the reason the polls are tightening is because of obamacare and these premium notices that went out over the past two or three weeks. people are saying wait a minute, we have a problem. i think that is definitely what's happening. >> the notices that went out didn't say your rates are going up because marco rubio screwed you on the federal subsidy, but still that's what's going on. what is your replacement for obamacare? >> it would make sense, i agree with that except for last november, 2015, 2015, more than half of the affordable care act for out of the insurance
12:12 pm
marketplace. that would make sense if that were true. >> it is true. >> we been having problems, no, half of them were out of business last year before. >> scotty, a lot of that was because of consolidation in the health industry. >> no you said it's because of marco rubio. the prices have been going up. >> no you're absolutely right. health insurance, when health insurance companies combine and you go from three companies down to one, they can set the price however they want. there are several states for you only have one or two companies. you are right about that and i'd like to see more competition. my solution for this, hillary clinton solution is to offer people the ability to buy into medicare as a public option. what's your solution? >> i think actually, the ultimate solution of most is a single pair government funded system but we can discuss that later. let's talk about what they have to offer.
12:13 pm
you can avoid repeal and replace it with health savings accounts. this is something we talk about. the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines and allow states to manage medicaid funds themselves. give it to the states to handle. it will cut the red tape at the fda and force drugs that are awaiting approval and we want to speed up that approval and encourage competition. encourage a free market economy. that is how we are able to expand our funding without the government subsidizing. >> so i'm a guy who works at a reasonable job. i work at mcdonald's or walmart or retail here in washington d.c. making above minimum wage. i think the minimum wage here is $12. hour in d.c. d.c. i have a couple kids and i'm just barely getting by and you're saying the solution is
12:14 pm
for me to set aside $5000 a year and a health savings account and hope i never get sick enough that cost me more than $5000? >> will what you have right now. you still get your in insurance but your encouraging companies to compete against each other instead of competing against the government. prices always go up when the government gets involved. let's make competition between each other in between the healthcare provider themselves and take the government, as much as possible, out of it except for medicaid and medicare which they were originally intended to do which was to be more -- >> so let me see if i can get this right. you are saying you want to do with the state exchanges and make this federal.
12:15 pm
you want to big government, federal solution to the. >> no we want state exchanges to be able to compete against each other. if north carolina is offering a better rate and a better better price, i'm in a go, even though i live in tennessee and be able to buy health insurance through the state exchange of north carolina. we are going to make the states compete with each other. what is wrong with that? when did competition ever fail us? >> the healthcare competition has been failing us for well over a hundred years i would say i'm all in favor of competition. you know me. i'm a businessman and i like competition. but were talking about life and death. were not talking about a pair of blue jeans or whether i want the red car or the blue car. were talking about the ability to survive. we are literally, the only developed country in the world for you can go bankrupt because you get sick. we're the only one. i'm still trying to figure out what donald trump solution to that is. >> here's what's so interesting.
12:16 pm
>> you say let the health insurance companies compete. let's say that wonderful competition goes nationwide and we do the same thing we did with credit cards. by the way for people old enough to remember what happened with credit cards, back in the 70s, it used to be that every state regulated credit cards. you had the insurance commissioner who was in charge of credit cards. that got done away with so there were federal states that could compete. north dakota said we will set the lowest standard, the lowest regulation, we can elect credit credit card companies screw their customers as much as they want, they don't have to disclose stuff to them, they can stick them with hidden fees and do all kinds of stuff and guess what, all the credit card companies moved to north dakota. then they started buying each other to the point where there's only three left. now, if that same thing happens with health insurance, we are screwed. your solution has already been tried with credit cards and were all paying 29% and getting screwed by our credit card companies. i just don't see how that can help us with health insurance. even if it does, even it drops at 25%, how does that help me if
12:17 pm
i can barely even buy food and prescription drugs for my kids? >> well, that's the fallacy right there because the way the system is set up, middle-class families are bearing the brunt of it. the me say this. i pay $1000 every month and premium. >> i used to pay $600 but it went up to $1000. this week and thousand dollars. this week and i had to take my daughter to the er, actually we went to my primary doctor. she could not handle anymore. the ability to treat a spider bite can't be handled there any know that she had a go to the er. there are people there that would there for the cold or the flu, but there also very common illness. >> are you in a red state where young people don't have access to doctors so they have to go to er. >> no in tennessee, they can get on it. we do have a state exchange.
12:18 pm
they are are still going to the er's and when i left, after being there for seven hours, i was told my insurance, that i had to do a pre-pay of $2000. before i could walk up store. >> you just define the problem. i'm on medicare which a single-payer. i've got a herniated disc in my back. i've been to three different doctors, mris, next ray and who knows what's going on. all i do as i walk into the doctor's office say here's my medicare number. they plug it in, it automatically connects, they automatically get paid. there's no paperwork, i get nothing, there's been no deductibles co-pays, i've been deductibles co-pays, i've been paying into this since i was 14 years old, into medicare. i continue to pay into it. there is a monthly fee, but it's only a couple hundred dollars a month a month and it's the best health insurance i've ever had. >> but you're at that age that medicaid plan works. >> hillary clinton is saying
12:19 pm
drop the medicare age to 55. would you love that. i know you're younger than that, but it's when you come. >> but not if we can't afford it. great, i would love to give everybody free roses every day and a free car. >> roses and cars are not life-and-death. were talking about life and death. >> i noted in the not the same, same, but when we are encouraging people to get on the government and not stand on their own and not have private companies competing against each other and work with the insurance or the healthcare providers to reduce cost, yes, you. [inaudible] >> so you really think the best thing i should do if i feel heart palpitations from all these anti-inflammatories is as soon as i'm having a heart attack, i should just call every hospital in town and asked them what they charge. >> unfortunately, that's what you're finding. >> you're on a single-payer system. >> yes so i can go anywhere. >> yes but it was government-funded, and means my
12:20 pm
government tax dollars are paying for it. >> that's right we shared the costs of the little person doesn't get screwed. >> they are going to be bankrupt. they had to take the firm medicare to pay for obamacare and it's going to absolutely be bankrupt. how are you going to pay for it then? raid -- raise taxes. >> so i'm supposed to believe that this system that works in every other developed country in the world can't work here because americans are too stupid >> our companies are too greedy? >> go ask the british healthcare system. >> i've used it. it's wonderful. >> use their dentist to. >> their wonderful. >> scotty, thank you for enlightening us.
12:21 pm
the chief political correspondent and contributor to cnn speaking on behalf of donald trump. thank you. >> this is the thom hartmann program. >> we will be back with your calls after this welcome back. twenty-one minutes past the hour tad is watching free speech tv. >> yes you are. it's a pleasure to talk to you. >> thank you. >> i am looking a little bit past the election. i'm looking at the senate rules. i think that we've had a lot of gridlock in washington and congress, as we all know, and
12:22 pm
i've got some ideas i'd like to run by you. i have four brief points about unlocking the senate, if possible, to deal with the gridlock in the senate, which we should really call this the senate gridlock, we should call the republican party gridlock. [laughter] >> no i'm serious but there are no democrats in favor of this. >> if you do poles, people hate congress. 93% of americans say yes i hate congress. it's not the democrats were doing this. >> no, but the thing is, the rules i believe that are the problem. what i would like to see, filibustering to me is a problem one person can hold up the whole senate. my recommendation is to limit or eliminate filibuster. second recommendation is a simple majority to pass
12:23 pm
legislation. >> that's in the constitution right now. you're talking about changing the rules of the senate, not not the constitution. the constitution says simple majority. >> that changing the rules in the senate is the only thing that can be done, on the first day of the new congress, if we miss that, then we have to wait two more years to try to change the rules. i've been an observer of the system for quite some time. i'm thinking simple majority there. no fast tracking. the only fast track. >> the trade deals, nothing has to go to committee, senate floor, up or down vote, this is not. they have to go and look at all the deals and they can't take in
12:24 pm
any electronics, anyway, the last thing is freestanding legislation, if there are amendments, they have have to be germane to the question. >> i agree. >> if you want to pass 22 different pieces of legislation, pass 22 different votes and debates. >> right. in rhode island we have freestanding legislation and things get moved through here. >> a really, is that required by the rhode island commissioner or is that policy? >> no, i believe not in the constitution but legislated. >> this is a rational way to do it. we've been dealing with these. everybody, unfortunately, particularly since the 1976 case from case from the supreme court that said it's okay for a billionaire or transnational corporation to own their own personal member of congress,
12:25 pm
ever since then they actually like these giant bills with all this kind of stuff. then the lobbyists and all the members of congress can fly their pieces of legislation and and it gets buried, it gets lost >> so he is spot on. i think all those things are things with which i would agree. thanks for the call and thanks for watching free speech tv. we'll be right back. >> one another best way to keep yourself warm? these keep your feet warmer than ordinary socks. they use it to stage process
12:26 pm
with advanced insulating yarn that's brushed on the inside at traps warm air closer to your skin keeping your feet warmer, comfortable and dry making them the softest the most comfortable socks guaranteed. they will pamper your feet. they also make much more. give someone you know keep holders for the holidays. go to heat holders.com and use the code tom to receive a discount. go to heat holders.com. >> welcome back. marie in colorado. what's on your mind today?
12:27 pm
>> i would like to do a little bit of background. i know this is somewhat anecdotal, but my sense is if it's happened to me it's happened to millions of others. i've spent my entire life in the nonprofit sector. >> we just have 30 seconds. i'm sorry. >> okay. me say this. united healthcare just bought out a small company in our area and they will refuse to cover anybody after january 1. the people here aren't going to have any option. united healthcare is one of the most profitable health insurance companies there is. health, education, law-enforcement should never be for-profit. >> i agree. as far as i know were the only country in the world that allows for corporate profit corporations to offer primary health insurance. if you want secondary health insurance and many other countries, if you want a five-star hotel with a fancy room in the hospital and catered meals and that kind of thing,
12:28 pm
but in primary health insurance were the only ones that let the banks for a spread thank you. >> we are live on c-span2 as well as everyplace else. check it out. we will be back. >> welcome thom hartmann here with the book club. [inaudible] [inaudible conversation] [inaudible conversation]
12:29 pm
hello, thank you for being with us on c-span. i really appreciate it. we are very pleased to have you with us. feel free to call into our program. the telephone number is (202)808-9925. chris will take your name and topic and anything you want to talk about. give us a shout. we start out with healthcare but we can talk about all kinds of stuff. feel free. in the meantime, i'm going to go back and just check the new spirit i do this during every break to make sure i'm not missing something that i should be talking about. i will be back with you in just a minute.
12:30 pm
12:31 pm
[inaudible conversation] [inaudible conversation] [inaudible conversation]
12:32 pm
71% of nevada voters support designated in these areas as a national monument. this is so strange. it was in 1906, teddy roosevelt, teddy roosevelt created these things, this particular one. get ready. more drama from the bundy voice. this is really sad.
12:33 pm
239 people died. they dotted in shipwrecks off libya trying to get to europe. they are fleeing wars in libya, syria and iraq. i included afghanistan because the afghan government. [inaudible] that was the weeks after 911. we will arrest him and hand them over and george w. bush said no. we have spent $1 billion bombing the porous company in a a world that hadn't annual gdp of
12:34 pm
$2 million. if we said here, take this money, everybody in afghanistan would have a higher standard of living. we now have this master humanitarian disaster going on. welcome back. dave in indiana. >> talking about the increase in premium on the affordable care act.
12:35 pm
a few days ago they said on public television that the big largest increases in premium by both states, no surprising, that it didn't expand medicaid for those dates are. >> write exactly. red states are run by red governors and i'm guessing the mechanism that cause those rate increases is because some percentage of economic strata as it was. if you make less than $15000 a year, you don't qualify for subsidies. you're supposed get free medicaid but if the governor's race used to expand it, you have no health insurance even though you're working. if those people start, if they get a pay raise, if the minimum wage in the state goes up,
12:36 pm
suddenly suddenly they qualify for obamacare, they go on at bomber care but sick and haven't had health insurance for years and they're adding the cost. marco rubio took away the risk corridor. am i making sense. >> yes and that last guest that you talked about that they can go to er's. this happened a few years ago in chicago and probably another area that ers, hospitals hospitals are closing the ers them because they're losing too much money. one other thing, if you have a single-payer system, they said you can only make, companies could only make a 5% profit. profit. they said a lot of companies won't pay for because they have a good contract. >> the way they do it, they
12:37 pm
don't just cap the profits, they also put a floor on it. you're guaranteed a 5% profit. banking basically used to be like this. before reagan changed all the rules around, banking, banking was a boring but predictable business. it used to be that health insurance was a boring but predictable business. i can remember running a company, the first company was in 1972. we were buying health insurance from blue cross blue shield from $35. person. month. it was a total nonprofit. every hospital where we were located, they were all nonprofit and required by law. the health insurance was a nonprofit. nobody was trying to screw us all and make a buck on healthcare. then, there's been a a series of changes in the laws although most of them happen during the reagan administration and they say let's just throw this, everything is better with the
12:38 pm
profit load and we all get screwed. john in minneapolis. what's on your mind? >> i just had to call in to make a comment about healthcare because i think healthcare is a human right. when people persist in this ridiculous argument that the private sector can take care of the need of sick people, they are actually and indirectly causing the death of a lot of people. there are a lot of people who just decide not to seek any care at all and they die. they are encouraging that, aren't they. healthcare should be a right. it really should be. it's just this argument, i'm so tired of it. i've been in the healthcare working in healthcare for 36 years and i can tell you, it's not a rational system. if we had had a single-payer
12:39 pm
system like we do in every other industrialized country in the world, we would not be spending as much and we would be covering everybody. they don't want to hear that. they want to take this country and build a wall around it as far as how anything is done anywhere else and in that case it's done better. the outcome is better. all the indices indicate that they have better health in france than we do. our life expectancy, as you pointed out for people in working-class and middle-class is actually going down. i think that's because of this persistence on linking healthcare with employment. it just doesn't work. why should we have, we had 24 vice presidents. how does that enhance the
12:40 pm
healthcare of the people that i serve working there. >> you're absolutely right. that is the core issue. this is but teddy kennedy, they went to the mat with richard nixon about this back in 1962. it's what bernie sanders was all about. frankly, i think we are moving in that direction. i hear this rhetoric from hillary clinton that rather than thinking of health insurance as a privilege, we could consider it a right. thank you john for the call. there is precedent for that. it used to be, in this country, if you wanted to have fire insurance on your home, you had had to contract with a private company. the private company would give you a shield and if somebody notice your house was on fire or you noticed it was on fire, you would call and there would be competing companies. would call and they would come out and put it out. if you didn't have the shield,
12:41 pm
they would just drive right by. people's' houses burned down all the time. a lot of this turned was chicago fire. it got really serious when the fire went from one person's house to another to an entire neighborhood to half the city burning down. we all decided this is crazy. if somebody's house can catch on fire and burned down, we should have a system that we all collectively fun and share the risk. we all agree on this in the united states. there's a small crack pot in the libertarian party who thinks all fire department should be privatized, but nobody is taking them seriously. we all agree having a fire department where if your house is on fire, the obligation is to society to put the fire out. is it your body as important as your house? is it more important if your house is metaphorically on fire? you've got cancer or heart disease or diabetes, shouldn't
12:42 pm
we all collectively be saying hey, we will help put that fire out. isn't that what the right to liberty, life, happiness means? how is it that every other country has figured this out and we still have an entire political party committed to saying no. society should put out the fire in your body. in fact some even say in your house because they want to privatize the fire department. no, we shouldn't do that. instead we should just open the market and figure out someway to have competition fix everything because it just magically fixes everything. in the marketplace, for nonessential goods and services, i'm with you on that. i've started seven companies in my life. i've been in the business world for most of my life. i'm all in favor of making a profit and i've done it a number of times. that is a whole different thing
12:43 pm
from the commons, from the life liberty and pursuit of happiness and is your house on fire, is your body on fire, are we going to have public roads or private roads. now i'm wandering into the discussion of the common so i'll get back to your call. rich in san antonio florida. what's up. >> hello, thank you. >> if you have me on speakerphone, if you could take me off, i did reshoot it. >> you're not on speakerphone, you're on my bluetooth. >> okay, what's up. >> this health care discussion makes me absolutely crazy. my wife and i are self-employed with our own little business. we didn't have insurance for over six years and then the aca showed up here in san antonio and we were able to get it through the federal exchange but i find out, i wake up and find out i have neuropathy in my leg due to being diabetic for so many years and didn't know it. we can't go to the doctor. my wife has lupus.
12:44 pm
her medication for her lupus, just one medication is $1100 a month. we didn't have insurance. my diabetic pills at least $400 a month. i hear people get on the radio who are struggling with the same things that i'm describing to you and they don't understand and it makes me absolutely crazy i heard a phrase, they don't want their taxes to go out. if they were able to look at that in reverse, there taxes probably already went up 10% by what she's been paying. >> right, she's, she's paying it through the health insurance company. that was the point bernie used to make. you're saying and thousand dollars a year for health insurance. wouldn't you rather than $5000 to get better insurance and have that money routed to a government rather than the for-profit company where the ceo is taking over a billion dollars and every penny of that was from saying no, you can't have that
12:45 pm
operation, no were were not quite to pay for that immunization. i'm totally with you. thank you for the call. hopefully we can figure this out in this country. this should not be rocket science. all we have to do is look at canada. europe, all over europe, europe, national healthcare systems yes there are variations. in switzerland they have private companies but there required to be not-for-profit. in some very are privately owned like the va but most everyone else's single-payer. back to more of your calls right after this.
12:46 pm
>> welcome back. judy in new hampshire, what's on your mind today? >> i just wanted to ask, in new hampshire, i'm an adult foster care provider for three developmentally disabled men and in new hampshire, we don't pay for their dental. i don't know if that's across the whole country or what mecca probably is. >> medicare and medicaid does not pay for it. you have to fund raise for these guys to go to the dentist. >> that's terrible. >> two of my guys were too anxious to go to a regular dentist. they have to be put to sleep so they only go every two years and the dentist, he volunteers his
12:47 pm
time, but we still have to pay for the hospital to do the surgery to put them to sleep and everything for the dentist to do it there. we have to fund raise like $800 each for them. it's really disgusting. you tell people about it and they say oh, well, well, we don't want people to take advantage of it, but they should get it. >> what you're looking at judy is the result of the way our healthcare system has evolved. back in the 1890s, literally in the 1890s when germany put into place the first single-payer national health care system, we were still, it was like traveling medicine men and the dentistry come to town or the doctor would come to town and as insurance developed in the united states, it was focused on
12:48 pm
medicine, but not on dental. they want to be part of it because they wanted their own little system. they were concerned about getting merged into this larger issue. there are different arenas in the united states, mental mental health, oral health and physical health. really there all the same thing. a tooth infection can kill you. mental illness can kill you. either one can run the quality of your physical life as well as your mental life and diseases. we really need to reintegrate these places. like other countries we need to integrate so people have access. >> my guys have a lot of behavioral issues and the behaviors could be fathered by
12:49 pm
toothaches and stuff like that. they can only go to the dentist every two years so it's kind of hard to decide whether it's a toothache or something. if you have a bad toothache, who would know. >> especially when you're dealing with the population. you would think at the very least, with them most fragile and vulnerable population in the united states we would come up with programs. if we follow the republican logic of let people figure this out for themselves, let them shop for the best prices, fade and save up they're not good immoral people, screw them, that's kind of the republican view on this. there are people who don't have, their people who are dealing with this and don't have the capacity to make those decisions and we are caring for them poorly.
12:50 pm
that speaks to us badly as a society. >> welcome back, i'm here with you ten minutes before the hour. adam in illinois, what's up. >> all the talk about the aca, the one thing that gets me is i understand people with the exchanges and the rates going up, but a lot of people i talked to, they tend to blame the aca for the cost of their employer insurance. i don't think anybody is bringing to light the fact that it's not aca's fault or employer-provided insurance rates going up. everybody keeps lumping that in
12:51 pm
their and not explaining it. do you have any insight as to why the employer-provided rates are going up as well. >> because everybody is in on the hustle. there's a brilliant piece done a couple years ago about this group of doctors in texas where they had put together a center of diagnostic machines and they were x-ray machines and mris and all sorts of fancy stuff. they were referring people to their own clinic that was directing people to their own clinic. they were doing two or 300% more on this town on medical services than other nearby towns in texas and it was because the doctors had figured out a way to make some money. everybody has figured out to make about office. we have more mri machines and x-ray machines in this country.
12:52 pm
canada is doing just fine. everybody wants to open up for profit company and make some money. you've got the health insurance company. capita the average american spends $850 on pharmaceutical. the worldwide average, the rest of the industrial world averages $400. we are we are probably raising that average. why is that? the drug companies can charge whatever they want. you have insulin that has gone from $25 in 1996 up to over 250 a shot. and that's just because the company could get away with it. that's a big part of the problem. i think we should go back to the way it was before reagan and say hospitals have to be run not for profit and health insurance companies have to be run not for profit.
12:53 pm
if you are with republican traditional model. i would much rather see single-payer, but if you're going to do that, go back to what we tried and sort of worked, at least worked for working people. >> i really enjoy your show. i've been a nurse since 1989 and had a terrific career. it's been up and down, but mostly ups. on several occasions from my career i have had to deal over the phone with representatives for these for-profit insurance companies. i would literally argue, sometimes with the physicians who are medical directors, trying to get the okay for people to get medical testing. i have agree with the scotty
12:54 pm
person earlier, her her idealistic view of insurance companies are going to compete, but i got news for her, the only thing insurance companies are going to do is collaborate. they are to try to do whatever they can to mind their own pocket. it will be like the airlines. >> you will end up with three or four health insurance companies. right now you're at five or six but two are in the process of merging. basically whatever one of them does, all of them do. when delta raises their prices suddenly in a particular market, so so does united and so does american. it's crazy. two weeks ago, the reason i decided we should get flu shots.
12:55 pm
my wife is two years younger than me and not on medicare, with a private insurance committee, she walked in and they said we have to get it preapproved. she had a sit there for 30 minutes waiting for them to get the preapproval from the insurance company. the insurance company wouldn't preapproved it. they set a had to be resubmitted for approval. at that point we said to the pharmacist, how how much the shot. he said $40. she set up a you the $40. i think that tells the entire story. thanks for your call and things for comment. tony in fort worth texas, what's on your mind. >> thanks for taking my call. i just wanted to touch base and maybe get your opinion on this. i keep hearing a lot of republicans say insurance would be cheaper if we sold across state line. my best comparison to that would be auto insurance. i lived in niagara falls and dealt with the insurance that
12:56 pm
sold across state line. the only problem is they only sold across six states. then when i moved to texas, my insurance was valid under the law of texas, it wasn't legal with my insurance company in new york because i was out of the region. in your opinion, when when they say selling across state lines, what's to stop insurance companies from doing that? >> you have an insurance commissioner who says it was their job to make sure they don't rip you off. the reason i moved for vermont, we had car insurance for 30 years. we had an accident, my daughter just drove the car into the ditch and harmed the underside
12:57 pm
and submitted a claim and they canceled us. i called the insurance company of vermont and said what's the deal. they said that particular company likes to cancel people because we actually force them to make payments. we have more rigorous standards in vermont for insurance companies that many of the other states that do business. if you moved to vermont and you're bringing them with you, they will try to get rid of you. i would like is there any recourse for this and she was like no, this is the way it is. to to have scotty's world where the insurance can simply be sold across state lines and everything will be equal, you have to get rid of the insurance commissioners which is what happened with credit cards back in the 70s or the early '80s. basically get rid of state regulators or go to the lowest common denominator's.
12:58 pm
if you pull your credit cards out of your wallet, all of them will say north dakota on the back. that's why, so they can screw you. thanks a lot for the call, we'll be right back. [inaudible conversation] we have 12 lines with got calls from tennessee, wisconsin, maryland, minnesota, virginia, california, new york and colorado. we'd love to have you, but we only have 12 lines and they're all full. if you call, try tried to call the number (202)808-9925. just keep trying.
12:59 pm
again, usually the show is pretty slammed. so far i don't have any c-span callers. i think that's because the line is filled up almost as soon as we are on the air. also, if you're watching the repeater this show, don't try to call. you guys label back, right? you let people know? all right. so in our second hour, we have anthony baxter who will be on. he is a filmmaker and the director of a movie, i'm not sure if he's scottish or not, but it's a movie about something that happened in scotland. donald trump donald trump went to scotland to build a golf course. there were a bunch of people in this town who had a nice view of the ocean from their home. that view looked over a bunch of wildlands. trump bought the wildlands and
1:00 pm
they wanted to build a golf course there. what he did is he built this 20-foot wall or whatever it was, all the way around it to block the view of the houses because he thought the golfers wouldn't want to see the houses. now the people whose houses had oceanfront views have a pile of dirt view and they're rather upset about that. he made a movie about this called trumped and there's a section called you've been trumped to and he interviews the scottish folks and we will be talking with him. most of this is told through the viewpoint of a woman named molly who is 92 years old and grew up with an ocean view until donald trump came along. this is being lied dreams on facebook tonight at 8:00 p.m. and also you can find it at
1:01 pm
trumped film.com. he has been making this movie for a year. this is not something they did because donald trump got the nomination. >> will talk about donald trump. if you've ever watch the tv show mom or moms, they are one of the stars of that show. she is also the head of the progressive democrats of america and activists and writer and she will talk about electronic voting machines and how they can fairly easily be hacked. in fact, they found once i have been been hacked and they figured out how they were hacked and for some reason it's a story nobody wants to talk about. lastly, we had a guest that has
1:02 pm
a movie out called the best that democracy can buy. this is great. in this movie which were not going to be talking about, although i mention it is something we should talk about, there are these secretary of state who develop this interstate where people are trying to vote twice. interestingly, the list, maria hernandez in virginia and louisiana, the same person who flew from one place to the other one is maria christina and the other is maria susan and they don't know each other, they're not motivated and they're not
1:03 pm
voting twice. the biggest problem is when they compile this list, they look for people whose first and last names and who's got the most common first and last names, 80% of all the people with the last name of washington are african-american. 90% are asian. 95% have the last name of garcia are hurt hispanic. it used to be that smith and jones were common names back when it was all british immigrants, but now, if, if you're just looking for common names, if you say we've got a match here and somebody in virginia and somebody in mexico with his name, same name. we are not comparing those. we are just comparing first and last names. if that's what you're looking at, what you you are going to do is pull out massive numbers of african-americans, asians who are now largely voting democratic and latinos who are voting the mechanic.
1:04 pm
guess what, 7 million people this is the little trick that katherine harris and jeb bush did in 2000 in florida when they pulled african-american men off the voting rolls by saying they were felons because they were felons in the state of texas where they bought the list from who had the same first and last names, again, common last names. they knocked them off three weeks before getting george bush close enough. the rest of week know about this he broke it for the bbc the week of our election in 2000. the whole world knew about this. these guys are still doing this. they are doing in this election. hundred thousand people in north
1:05 pm
carolina. these are not exact numbers. i'm doing this from memory. you can find the numbers. it's all there. he actually got the list and confronted them in person in the movie. you talk about rigged election, it's not not happening in the way that you think it's happening. anyhow, my rant, sorry to rant that you. >> we can put him on the phone. >> we can't get him on the phone. >> okay well for can't do either one i'll just take calls.
1:06 pm
>> welcome to live radio. oh man. [inaudible conversation] welcome back. we are pleased to have you with us. this is the guy, he wants to be, in my opinion he has not said this out loud, but look at this
1:07 pm
guy, he's like mr. grandstand. he was the guy who apparently tweeted out james comey letter before it went public which has got a lot of people scratching their heads, if that's exactly what happened. there is some debate about whether or not that's what happened. he wants to investigate hillary clinton for the use of the private server for their e-mail. there are, by the way as newsweek points out, the the bush administration, george w. bush, dick cheney used a private server and 22 million e-mails managed. apparently he was using a private server too. the e-mail for his private server, he has a little bit of a problem going after hillary clinton. we will see. right now, anthony baxter is a
1:08 pm
filmmaker of you've been trumped too. trumped film.com, you can tweet him at trumped movie. anthony baxter, welcome to the program. >> it's good to be with you. >> you are a scottish film maker. i have that right. >> that's right. i've just flown back into scotland where we have the film just last week and were showing for the first time in the uk tonight and we are live streaming it this evening at eight est time on facebook, at that web address you mentioned. the reason is, we want to try and get it out to as of many americans as possible ahead of the election because donald trump has been trying to shut the film down, threatening us
1:09 pm
with legal action. we think it's really important to get the film out to as many people as possible. we heard a lot about what he has said through the course of this campaign, but i think what we show in the film is what he does the result of his actions on women and in particular, a 92-year-old woman who donald trump says reminds him of his own mother but they have been without proper working water supplies. i first made a film called you been trumped back in 2010. as part of this i followed the story while they were building a luxury golf course in scotland just up the road from where i'm speaking to you. this is a protected coastline. nothing was supposed to be built
1:10 pm
on it. trump got permission because he promised 6000 jobs. he's actually delivered 95 jobs, most of them part-time, low-paid and he's saying he will be the greatest jobs president that god ever created. they spent five years without proper working water supplies because of the actions of donald trump's workers. i thought there was a piece of this that he built a giant wall blocking the view of the ocean for people had been living there for a long time. >> that's right. donald trump wants to build a wall between mexico and the united states. we know here in scotland, he has walls that he built around
1:11 pm
people's houses because he said they were ugly and he didn't want to see the house is pretty wants to get rid of the houses using eminent domain. it's called compulsory purchase here in scotland and he is that tactic but it fails. so he built huge walls so they could see out of their windows. there's a series of tactics that are intimidation, bullying and harassment. >> is this concern because the wealthy people will be using his golf course i will be offended seeing an average working person's home. >> yes. he said michael forbes, the farmer i mentioned he branded their home islam and said he lives like a pig. he said he didn't want to build
1:12 pm
his luxury hotel overlooking a slum. he used that excuse as a reason to not build the hotel. michael is very much the kind of person that he is appealing to in america, the working guy, he repairs machinery and he fixes up other things. trump called it a disgrace and a national embarrassment for scotland. >> we are talking with anthony baxter, the filmmaker and director of the new movie year. you have been been trumped too, the website is trumped film.com and that's trumped as in past tense and it's trumped movie. keep that separate in your mind. it's film.com for the website.
1:13 pm
we have just a short clip of it if i may play it. >> sure. >> okay, here it is. [inaudible] >> i don't want to see the houses. nobody has a problem with it. i guess people who live in a house is have a problem with that. >> i would build the great wall that, and no one builds walls better than me, believe me. >> how are you going to make them pay for the wall. >> i will in the wall just got 10 feet taller. >> apparently everything about walls. anthony baxter.
1:14 pm
>> he does. they have these bulldozers bring into action one morning and start building. the guy you saw walked to the top of the wall and they were building a massive wall. donald trump wouldn't see his house. he said we have them on camera saying he wanted to get rid of david's house. he has permission to bulldoze, but. [inaudible] they showed incredible dignity
1:15 pm
against intimidation. they've stayed where they are, they haven't gone anywhere and they stood up in this dignified way and for what. one golf course for the superrich which is losing millions of dollars according to the latest figures and is employing a tiny fraction of the people that donald trump promised. >> it's an amazing story. anthony baxter is the filmmaker and director. the movie is you've been trumped to. and the website is trumped film.com. you can check it out. thanks for dropping by today. >> thank you for having me on. i appreciate it. >> i appreciate your candor. i appreciate you being with us. thank you. >> we'll be right back in 15 minutes.
1:16 pm
>> this is the thom hartmann program. >> we will be back with your calls and my thoughts, the news of the day and more right after this. >> welcome back. let's see here, june, june just dropped off the phone. let's try barbara and half-moon bay bay california. thanks for watching, what's up. >> well, i was watching the news report from amy this morning and watching the military buildup against the indians and i'm so furious that even at 72 years
1:17 pm
old, i think i think of going to go out there and stand with them, but more important, you talked a while back about the airwaves belong to the people of this country and yet the corporations have taken over the airways and i want to know what we can do and what i personally can do to start a process of getting those airwaves back so the people of this country, i don't think politics really is going to matter because people are ignorant in this country. >> i think the way to do it is to contact politicians who are
1:18 pm
in office, who are running for office and say do you support our return to the ownership rules that existed before the 1996 telecommunications act. it used to be, if you wanted to own a tv station in a particular town, you couldn't also own the newspaper. you pick one. now you can own all three. not just in that town but in that state and everywhere in the country. we have gone from literally thousands, tens of thousands of owners of newspapers, radio stations and television stations i started in this business as a teenager in lansing michigan doing weekend dj stuff, country-western dj in the weekend. in 1968 that station was owned by a local guy.
1:19 pm
they went from there, this was the only -- they were all locally owned. i don't think any of them are all locally owned anymore. that's the story of the entire united states. it used to be they were locally owned because they said you could own a couple of stations because these are like licenses to print money, you can you can own a couple but you can't own the whole thing. basically if you look at all the major radio stations in this country, basically all of them are owned by two countries. this is all consistent with them enforcing the sherman act which led to the merging and acquisition, that greed is a good thing. it was in the '90s that got applied to media in a big way.
1:20 pm
it's a political problem created by politicians and can be fixed by politicians, but you have to get them aware of it, it and on the record about it. things for the call. we will be back. [inaudible conversation]
1:21 pm
[inaudible conversation] it's coming up on 22 minutes past the hour. jim in tennessee is listening in. what's up. >> i have some ideas, the lady was talk about healthcare, i can't remember her name. >> scotty nehls hughes.
1:22 pm
>> yes. it's amazing to me that they drop these little truth bombs or non- truth bombs that are hard to detect unless, they're very slick at it. they said something about someone who is getting treated for healthcare and that there was medicare expansion available yes you can get it there, but they didn't accept part of the expansion this year and it used to be a waiver through the medicaid program that was pretty good. people that needed it could get on it. i know people whose lives were saved on it. when they started taking. [inaudible]
1:23 pm
>> i remember tennessee was one, but you had a democratic governor. they had adopted the medicaid part of obamacare that you are saying that when the election happened two years ago you got republican governor and he did away with it mark. >> no this was a long time ago. they got a waiver that created this ten care program. >> okay, i'm thinking of kentucky. >> the tennessee never expanded medicaid. >> no. they've never expanded it. >> i see. >> thank you for calling from tennessee. we have the smartest listeners on earth and i'm so grateful to
1:24 pm
you all. scott ince san diego california. what's on your mind. >> it's good to talk to you. i get the call very often, but i know you're out there. here's what i'm wondering. since the talk is about healthcare, this is a serious question. sounds kind of sketchy where i'm going with it but it is serious. is it that the conservatives and the leaders in this country actually want people without health care to die or is it that they just don't care. the reason i'm asking it that way is they don't apparently care whether we have food if we are poor, they don't care if we have jobs, they don't apparently care if we have adequate housing, and the list goes on. by extension, it would make sense that they either want people or die from healthcare or they just don't give a damn. >> i think there are couple
1:25 pm
things that play here. i don't think anybody is sitting around saying let's create a system where people are going to die. i'm not that. [inaudible] i think there is this pervasive mythology that feeds the right wing machine that is used as a justification or an excuse that essentially says, we are all equal and as it says in the declaration of independence, if you don't have good health care or if you don't have a good house or good job or fill in the be blank, if you don't have it it's your own fault because fill in that blank. the calvinist, this is actually a religion brought from england where it for going to have
1:26 pm
things kings and queens, this is what god wants his us to do because god bless them. i think there's a whole religion around this. they have infiltrated our culture and it completely ignores things like white privilege, middle-class privilege, the privilege of where you were born, who you are, all these things that gender and male privilege, all these things that do influence your life and in this weird right wing theory, because everybody has, everybody should have a job and should be able to set away $5000 a year, but it's a convenient rationalization. i am of the opinion that the
1:27 pm
senior executives of most of the insurance companies are probably sociopaths. knowing that people are dying because of the financial decisions that you are making and still being able to sleep at night is virtually the clinical definition. i think most of the voters, people who support these things, it's those people. they live in this bubble of privilege their entire lives and they don't get. some of them are starting to lose this privilege which is something that donald trump has pointed out in some extent correctly, but he failed to point out it's getting the white middle-class or the media supporting that. that's the problem. we are not getting a conversation. should healthcare be a right or
1:28 pm
privilege? thank you for the call. you are listening to thom hartmann program. >> i will be back with more of your calls right after the break [inaudible conversation] we are on the air monday through friday, three hours a day, noon to three eastern time. i do a lot of debates with conservatives on this program.
1:29 pm
i know a lot of liberal hosts don't like to have celebrities on their program because they don't want to give them the publicity or whatever. i think that's a mistake. i think people can make up their own mine. if they're dealing with fax they're smart enough to figure out what's right or what's wrong having somebody like scotty on to say, here's the the republican and conservative position, she made a good argument. she had her talking points. :
1:30 pm
thomas jefferson said that an educated -- if america is to hope to be a functioning republic, with an electorate that is neither edcandidateth countied or informed, it is hoping for something that never was and never will be. think that's true. so typically at least once a day i have a conservative on, sometimes every hour. the other kind of format thing, if you're new to our show, is that when i don't have guests -- this is not typically a guest-driven show. mostly just me. and you. me talking to the people, to folks who call in. is that we'll take a topic per hour. now, healthcare has dominated so far the show, and i've got a whole bunch of callers on health care so we may do hours on that
1:31 pm
but usually on of each hour i switch the topic, what is going on in iraq and syria and we hall discuss that, stating are out with a debate or not. and in fact win i don't have a guest who is going to demate me, going to try to fight with me, i will'll try to present both sides as start can point. folks saying this -- people say this why we shouldn't. and i think that there is a certain level of integrity in that, and -- i mean i grew up starting radio in '60s. and in back then news was news. and we actually saw both sides. and we actually saw both sides on every issue, and we had an
1:32 pm
educated electorate, and therefore, when crazies came along, like george wall los angeles they were viewed as crazies: now we have a guy who is -- donald trump in money opinion, far to the right as george wallace. and i lived in michigan when wallace ran for president, and the runs in michigan, because they have open primaries, said let's all volt for wallace and they did. michigan sent george wall has to -- wallace to the convention. but it's important to have he's discussions. as a kid i used to watch "firing line" with my dad who is a republican, and we would argue politics, my whole life. but william farm buckley used to have liberals on. i remember him debating frank
1:33 pm
zap pa -- zappa. we don't have those anymore, we have dueling bumper stickers. it's not digging into the issues. so i'm trying to get back to that, to that time, back to that era -- hot that time but back to that ideal, that concept they we really need to be well informed. we need to understand the world view and the perspective, and the sales pitch of both sides, of if there's three our four side, all the sides. and then let people make up their own mind. so that's the whole of our somehow. we got also less than a minute before we start so i'll check the news one more thyme and -- more time and be right back.
1:34 pm
>> we also have a live chat room that is free and no advertising. and i check in with the chat room. and they're commenting and using some kind of instant feedback which is useful. >> we have a report coming in here. >> cool. thank you. >> sue, who runs our chatroom, is english. he says it's 5:15 in england. our clocks already changed. sweet. okay. >> all the important stories we cover and the issue wes care about are another hartmannreport.com. members over the community can comment and join the conversation. >> welcome back. tom hartmann back here, speaking the truth. multinational corporations you didn't know about, really.
1:35 pm
where did my mouth go. there it is. merry thomasville, georgia, what's on your mind? >> caller: hi, thom. i've seen mr. baxter's film, sick times. i took note. you have been trumped. three things i wanted to bring to people who haven't seen it. first of all, you've never, ever seen an -- uglier american than donald trump was to the people, to those people in scotland, who he basically destroyed their lives and destroyed heir -- their homes and then kicked dirt in their face by calling them nasty names. just really the ugly american. second of all he didn't get permission, when he bought the media state on the coast of scotland, -- get permission from the local people to destroy the dunes which is an an ecologically protected area. so he went to the state of scotland. the british and scottish governments -- their scottish
1:36 pm
representative in british parliament. >> host: that has changed of the last decade. >> caller: anyway. there have been -- because of mr. baxter's film there were 593 people signed a petition in great britain to been donald trump from their country, and they had a -- it was on c-span last fall. they had hearings about and it most of these representatives said, well, we can just ridicule him. like that would do any good. anyway, the other thing about this film is that trump made promises to the representatives of the state of scotland, i'll create 6,000 jobs and locally 1500 jobs, bring millions of dollars to your economy. everybody will be wonderful. we'll be -- you know, how he hypes everything. but hasn't happened. so, there's a law on the books in this country and great britain, and -- i can't remember the name -- in this country called the foreign corrupt
1:37 pm
practices act. it says you cannot bribe officials of foreign governments to do business with you. you can't say, i'm going to create 6,000 jobs and then not produce them. otherwise, the people, -- i think the people, the three families feature ode in mr. baxter's film, susan and john monroe. david millney and the fores family, molly and john -- michael and walter. they could bring a complaint to the united states department of justice -- >> host: perhaps, mary. there's a difference between lying and bribing, and you're right, the foreign corrupt practices act makes it a crime to bribe foreign actors in order to do business. but lying to people, -- and frankly, i can't say. i haven't seen the movie and i'm all that familiar with it. can't say that trump lied to them. maybe he planned to built the hotel which would have had the
1:38 pm
jobs and circumstances changed, but i get it. it's a good movie and worth seeing, and don't forget the web site for the movie is trumpedfilm.com. mary, thank you for the call. hike in monmouth junction, new jersey. >> caller: thank you for taking my call. i worked for 20-30 users in the pharmaceutical industry and i department with the fda and i just wanted everybody to know -- because i used to be part of putting in the drug applications to the fda. most of our drugs are made in foreign countries. and the only thing they do is just put a different package on it. when congress and the fda come up and say, you can't import drugs, because they're cheaper,
1:39 pm
right? it's because of safety reasons, it's nonsense. >> host: the vast majority of the drugs sold in the united states are made in china, india, or europe. >> caller: even in europe. >> host: european -- >> caller: france was the last country at that time produced aspirin. all the aspirins in this country are made in china. not one single producer anymore. so it goes for most countries. and in india, there's a large company, pharmaceutical okays and they have a consent agreement with the fda and they're still selling stuff over here. the. thing they do, they're sending consultants there to supervise everything because they were lying about test results and all these kinds of things. the only thing that stopped us from importing drugs by ourself from other countries is because the don't want to the prices to
1:40 pm
drop here. >> host: thank you for sharing your experience with us. i used to live in vermont, and in montpelier, vermont. a town of 7,000 people but the state capitol. and bernie sanders, in 1998, a member of the house of representatives and he organized these buses that would -- every saturday, and downtown, there would be this bus and you'd see all those older people, getting on these buses. and i'm like what the hell is this bus thing? turns out they were done mont peel ya is two hours south of montreal so they were driving up to montreal to buy their pharmaceuticals because it was illegal to ship them into the country but if you went there you could buy them. so u.s. congressman erring people because it was so much cheaper there, and as you correctly pound -- point out,
1:41 pm
they're the exact same drugs. this is a scam, it's a scam that is done at law, right? the law is providing -- this is a government monopoly, the drug companies, whether they bought by buying politicians, which the supreme court authorized in 1976, in the buckley vs. vallejo hays. from george washington until 1976, giving money to a politician to try to influence their vote was considered either bribery or at least a behavior that could be regulated, and in '71, lewis powell, wrote this memo to the champion bier of commerce saying we have to change this, take over all these things, take over the schools and universities, the political system, and want, because american business is under solid from ralph mader and rachel carson, and in '72, nixon put
1:42 pm
him on the supreme court and in '76 he authored a decision that said, giving money to politicians is not a behavior, it's speech. that money is speech. now, i've got some money in my pocket. but according to lewis powell some the conservatives on the court, it is speech and therefore you can't regulate it anymore, and thus began the boom in this up to -- you can't get a restaurant in d.c. right now. the best investment, most of the fortunate 500 companies are making, buying politicians. 10 get a 10,000 to one return. better than developing products. margie, in wisconsin. what's on your mind? >> caller: hi, thom. my husband would be alive today if he had been able to have health insurance. >> host: who is this? >> caller: my ex-husband.
1:43 pm
>> host: i'm sorry. sorry to hear that. >> caller: he lost his job during the recession, and because he lost his job, he lost his health and he lost his health insurance. he was living with friends of mine, he had been feeling not well for a week and a half, but he didn't have insurance so couldn't go to a doctor. but it wasn't an emergency so he couldn't go to the er. one night he had a massive coronary, and my friend performed cpr until the ambulance got there, by the time the ambulance got there, he was dead. >> host: i'm so sorry to hear that. that week and a half of not feeling bad, those are the early warning signs. >> caller: exactly. if he had been able to go to a doctor, he would probably still be alive today. >> host: right.
1:44 pm
but if your house had been on fire, the government would have shown up with a fire truck to put it out. but your husband's body was on fire metaphorically, and, eh, forget him. when the ron paul, let 'em die, right? that's just terrible. margie, thank you for sharing your story. and my condolences. i'm so sorry about toe hear about your hers. kirk in los angeles. what's on your mind today? >> caller: hello, thom, always good to listen to your show. >> host: thank you. >> caller: if the content of this discussion wasn't so serious, it would be funny when you have your -- when you have your exchange with scotty hughes, and every time i hear you guys talk, it harkens me back to the old abbott and costello, who is on first and what is on second. because no matter how many facts you gave her, she just couldn't find a way to connect with what you're saying, and continued along her train of thought,
1:45 pm
which has to have been brainwashed. >> host: kirt, let me stop you. one policy on the show is i don't trash people when they're not here to defend themself so is let's talk about the issue, okay? >> caller: all right. the issue is that allen grayson, he articulated it much better than i ever could, so if you can have an opportunity to look up his -- if he get sick, die quickly speech, he did on the floor. >> host: i remember it well. 58 alan said, here's the republican health plan. number one, don't get sick. if you do get sick, die quickly. >> caller: exactly. >> host: that the republican healthcare plan. great to hear from you. darlene in cuyahoga falls. what's up? >> caller: i was calling
1:46 pm
recording medical insurance. in 1972, i bought a private policy, and it had it guidelines and everything, which was fine, and when i was about to retire, i think -- probably won't be able to keep that insurance any longer because i'd be going on medicare. so, i started paying it in three -- every three months for the lost two periods to wind it down. and then i would be on medicare. well, when i sent the first quarter in, they told me, -- they didn't say anything for a while. when i sent the second quarter in they called me and said is there a problem? since '72 i've been paying every six months. so when i told them it was because i was going on medicare,
1:47 pm
and this was a private policy that i had and i didn't think i could keep it. >> host: did they dump you or try to flip you over to medicare advantage? >> caller: no. they didn't try that. they told me i -- >> host: darlene, i'm sorry, we're out of time. i'm so sorry. >> you're listen thing to thom hartmann. >> advice to callers, get to the point quick. know dear darlene was trying to get to the point. but i had to take a break. we'll be back. >> and welcome back. bob, watching free speech tv in merrill, new york, what's on your mind? >> caller: huh are how are you doing? >> good. >> caller: we're thankful for obamacare or the affordable care act. my wife has breast cancer and
1:48 pm
she was able to get treatments. you mentioned, what we -- we take a minute i'd like to explain how the congress and the senate and the president get their health insurance. who pays for it, what it costs them. i'm curious if you would be willing to, i'll hang up so you do take other calls. >> host: my understanding, bob, is that -- thank you for the call -- is that they -- prior to the institution of the affordable care act, they basically had an employer-based insurance policy where the federal government -- there were a bunch of insurance companies, and you could pick one that the federal government contracted with, and they were pretty good policies. high, quality policies. i believe during the aca negotiations, the republicans put in a thing that said, because they were convinced the
1:49 pm
aca would be so terrible, that members of congress had too buy their health insurance on the health insurance exchanges. and i'm not sure if that's stuck or still the law. victoria jones will be reporting the news in just a minute. maybe she knows or somebody -- one folks in our chat room can tell me. but basically, they have employer provided health insurance. at the senior level, the president, vice president, i don't know about the cabinet officers, but the.and vice president -- the president and vice president are in the military program. they go to walter reed. it's a operate thing. they're treat as if they were generals. and i don't know if that's because the president is the commander in chief of the military or what the rationale is but he has very, very good health care. whenever there's a motorcade the
1:50 pm
last car is always the ambulance. that's all i know. we'll see if anybody else knows. doris, in littleton, colorado. what's on your mind? >> caller: yeah. about the employer-based healthcare, it's the same thing as a private insurance corporation. they're paying into it for you. and the company i work for has been doing this for years and years, so my insurance is through private corporation, and that's another reason why we need single payer is companies cannot come to this country and set up their factories, offices, whatever, without fogger -- factoring in the cost of health care. >> host: right. we talked about it toyota that s building a factory in the united
1:51 pm
states because they have a large north american market and they were negotiating with three states, we'll give you $200 million to bring jobs to our state and the decided to move to windsor. outside of toronto, because they said there was $2,400 worth of health insurance into the cars made in the united states and it in canada it was zero. so just -- and with nafta there's no advantage or disadvantage from being in one of the other places because there's no tariff. excellent point. we'll be right back. [inaudible conversations] >> let find out what is going on in the news.
1:52 pm
this report brought to you by get toes for the old. goats for the old goat.com, a charity in south sudan that she set up and just a great little thing. about don seeing elman. on the line, victoria jones. >> caller: hi, thom. >> host: what's going on in the world today? >> caller: for instance, obama is campaigning in miami today for hillary clinton, and he is talking about obamacare. and he is hitting congressional republicans and then he was poking fun at donald trump, who recently said that he is calling for a special session of congress and repeal and replace it, and he said what you realize is they got no plan. he wants to repeal because ideologically they're opposed to the idea. and it's not like they don't even have a pretense of a plan. they don't even have a semblance
1:53 pm
of a plan, not even a hint of a plan, not even a -- there's no plan. >> host: has he pointed out that marco rubio was the author of the rider in the budget bill last year that did away with the risk corridors for the health insurance companies, which guaranteed they would be raising rates this year? >> host: i don't think the went into that kind of . >> don't think he went into that detail. >> host: people in florida should know, if your health insurance prices are going up and you're getting it through the affordable care act, marco rubio is a large part of the reason why, apparently. >> caller: interesting. don't think he went there he also -- at florida international university was saying that donald trump would abuse his presidential powers. he also was saying that people should vote early and actually gave them the address of polling places. so right now. hillary clinton is in a big
1:54 pm
lineup with her final rally in philadelphia, joined by former president bill clinton, chelsea clinton, president obama and michelle obama, and hillary clinton and president obama will both speak at that night. pennsylvania senator bob casey, democrat, is calling on attorney general loretta lynch and the department of justice to ensure thattary american's right is protected following reports of white nationalists plan to intimidate voters at the polls on tuesday in an effort to suppress the minority vote. this is off a report in politico that neonazi leader is rounding up thousands of poll watchers in all 50 states and partnered with the right stuff and they're planning to set up hidden cameras in philadelphia to monitor the polls. >> host: remember in 2008 there
1:55 pm
were three black guys in philadelphia who showed up at polling place and one had a stick or baton and said we're the new black ban their party. three guys. didn't do anything, didn't abuse anybody. somebody filmed it and fox news for the last eight years has been hysterical about this, voter intimidation by these black panthers. three guys. now we're talking about thousands, tens of thousands. a white guy showing up at the polls in mostly minority neighborhoods to -- with badges -- organized effort. are they as historical at fox about that? >> caller: i don't think they're talking about that. they're talking about the clinton foundation. >> host: oh, okay. you watch fox so i don't have to -- >> no, i watch very little television, actually. read reports what's on television. >> host: okay. >> caller: the fbi in the the process of opening an
1:56 pm
investigation into it's entwitter account which was quiet for a year and then linked a whole string of document of political income. >> about bill clinton and mark rich. >> caller: so they reverend it to the bureau inspection division. >> did james comey have anything to do with this? >> caller: nobody knows. it's like, what is up with this? >> host: waste -- what's up with the fbi being politicized. >> caller: right. so they're looking into it. well, the interesting vote in the uk this morning by the high court. high court said, well, actually, you can't just brexit. >> really? >> caller: yes. >> host: on what basis? >> caller: the high court ruled, the parliament most vote on the division and that the government cannot just trigger brexit with
1:57 pm
article 50. >> host: so the people's referendum isn't enough under the -- i mean, england doesn't have a discussion -- in in the n common law. >> caller: it has an unwritten constitution and the high court ruled it would be unlawful for the prime minister to send the article 50 notification without an act of parliament. >> host: so, you're pretty good on server of uk politicked. do you think parliament is going to vote the way the people did or going to vote to say, no, we're going to stay part of the eu? >> caller: what is happening is the prime minister has appealed and it's going to the supreme court, relatively new ininstitution, which has 11 justices and going to sit in early december, 11 never sad before, and going to hear the argument. it's a major deal. >> host: it is. victoria jones, thank you for
1:58 pm
the update. >> caller: thank you. >> host: we'll be back right of -- right after this. >> you're listening to thom hartmann. >> from united states headquarters in new york, this is your world in two minutes. >> malaysia's president -- [inaudible] >> host: danielle, when i'm on camera 2, it's way away from that and maybe we should do the whole show on camera one. >> sure. works for me. >> host: cool. good. i'm going to take a break. i've been sitting here two hours.
1:59 pm
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] >> we'll take a break from the thom hartmann show for the u.s. senate, coming in for a brief session. no legislative business expected.
2:00 pm
the presiding officer: the senate will come to order. the clerk will read a communication to the ?ad. the clerk: washington,d.c., november 3, 2016. to the senate, under the provisions of rule 1, paragraph 3 of the standing rules of the senate, i hereby appoint the honorable james m. inhofe, a senator from the state of oklahoma, to perform the duties of the chair. signed orrin g. hatch, president pro tempore. the presiding officer: under the previous order, the senate stands adjourned until 10:30 a.m. on monday, november 7

4 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on